ALITTLE history of HOUGHTON
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton like this:
HOUGHTON, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the river Arun, ½ a mile WSW of Amberley r. station, and 3¼ N of Arundel. Post town, Amberley, under Arundel. Acres, 1, 455. Real property, £815; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop., 165. Houses, 35. The property is divided among a few. Houghton Hill commands a fine view to the sea. Barrows are on heights in the W. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Amberley, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is a recent edifice, in the early English style.